Monday, October 10, 2005

What's On Your Beginner's Mind: Inaugural Edition

One of my goals in starting A Beginner's Mind was to get some discussion going, along with having a forum from which to spew my own cracked view of the world.

To further that end, I'm sending out a request to anyone reading along: Leave some comments! I know what I think. I want to know what you think, too. I know I have a few readers who choose not to comment: I'm asking you to un-choose that choice and speak up!

I also am going to start trying to do more posts that are open-ended questions that will hopefully get everyone talking. I'm shootin' for double-digit comment numbers!

Let me pose this topic, an easy one to start with that garnered quite a few comments today at Eschaton:

Recent studies have shown that a greater percentage of women with advanced degrees are opting to take their husband's last name after marriage, even in spite of often having published works in their maiden names. This reverses an almost 30 year trend of professional women retaining their maiden names. What I want to know is: Why do you suppose that is so? What are your (or your spouse's) particular reasons for keeping or changing maiden names?


Let me know what you think. As I've said before, one of the reasons I started a blog is because I firmly believe that the polarization in the country has resulted in an environment where folks can't even discuss controversial issues anymore without tearing each other apart. I want to try, in my own small way, to change that trend.

So, let's get some discussion going!

No comments: