Friday, March 24, 2006

A Sad Day for Diversity

Vernon County Broadcaster Article

Well, Sam promised you a more personal version of the story... at this time I'm really just feeling angry and disappointed in the boring, straight, white, conservative, Christians. Do they have nothing better to concern themselves with, than making everyone like them? I know that it's true, but some days I can't believe the amount of hatred in our world. I can't think of a worse reason to hate someone... because of their sexual preferences, skin color or religious beliefs. There are so many good reasons to dislike people... stupidity, rudeness, bad hair...

I have a lot of trouble sleeping and end up going over these types of scenarios in my head:

Say your a Christian and you believe homosexuality is a sin. Your beliefs tell you that two men or two women shouldn't be together. Goody, goody gum drops for you...
why do you have to worry about what "John & Jack", from down the block, are doing ????? What possible impact does it have on your life?????


Our son is in school with one of Bob & Kevin Gross' (the couple slated to speak) children. I don't really know them personally, but I have seen their interaction with children. They seem to be some of the most devoted and involved parents, out there. Why in the world should they be condemned for having a committed and loving relationship, where they adopted needy children and give them a wonderful life, full of love and support? I just for the life of me... can't understand.

I don't know where I'm going with this, but I have decided... I can no longer just sit at my computer and bitch. I am going to do something about this. I bought some hot pink supplies to make a sign, for our yard. I contacted Anthony Reuter, the young man that took a stand the last time Diversity Day was canceled. I really admire his courage and wrote about him in my first 'meaningful' blog. I was honored that he in turn, visited this site and thanked us! I plan on being involved in any petitions or picketing! I want my children to know that I think diversity is a wonderful attribute and we should all embrace it.

Let's get to know each other for the people we are, inside.

No comments: