Please, I beg you, read the post beyond this link:
Rockin' the Right
It discusses a list, put together by conservative National Review writer John J. Miller. It purports to list the Top 50 conservative rock songs. It's is one of the finest crafted bits of wingnut delusion ever penned. It's a real education in the absurd.
Here's just a few of the things I learned:
- U2 using Latin in Gloria makes them conservative.
- Being glad the Cold War ended makes you a conservative.
- CCR's most famous Vietnam protest song is really a diatribe against liberalism.
- Using Bush style cherry picking works great for making song lists too.
- Everclear and Blink 182's songs about family strife are actually just eulogies for the Ward and June Cleaver era.
I don't know what's more laughable about this list: the fact that Miller includes Dylan, CCR, The Clash, U2, The Who as examples of conservative songwriting or that he doesn't include the most famous wingnut rockstar of them all, The Nuge!
Sorry, conservatives, but you just don't get rock n' roll. It's not for you. It's for us. You get Toby Keith and Charlie Daniels. I know it's a cruel reality but you can change it! Just try being on the right side of history for once...